Friday, June 27, 2014

Reading, Writing and Brownies

So I realized I only blog when I'm doing Ready, Set, Write! or What's Up Wednesday. I love the community behind it, and it's great motivator to blog weekly. But it's time for me to branch out on my own and write posts for me. Monday and Wednesday are still Ready, Set, Write! and What's Up Wednesday. I just want to try my own thing.

Used to do a recap in reading, writing and chocolate. RSW and WUW kind of already cover the first two, but I'll try not to rehash things I've said before.

Cluttered bookshelf
In Reading: I used to be a very avid reader. In 2009 I read 100 books in a year. Then I went to college and that spark for reading disappeared. I guess I was so overwhelmed by classes and college life, I just forgot what I loved about reading. I gradually got back into the game. I want to go to the library, but I own so many books I haven't even cracked open. I'll read them all eventually. Lord knows I have the free time.

In Writing: I was talking to a writer friend and I mentioned my attempts to query my first novel when I was 17 years old. I wish 22 year old Leslie can slap 17 year old Leslie and tell her to not focus on trying to get published.I made many many many query fouls. i.e. I opened with a rhetorical question, the plot was everywhere, I wrote a bio about what I wrote in high school, etc. the list goes on and on. If I knew what I know today and wasn't so full of myself, things probably would have been different. The novel still sucked, don't get me wrong. It was beyond redemption. Five years later I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm a better writer for it.

The brownies
In Chocolate: I did a mean thing the other day. You see, when my mom bakes brownies, my older brother always claims the center piece. I didn't know what I was missing until he went to college and I tried the precious center piece for myself. Life changing. Anywho, now that we're all back under the same roof he thinks those same rules apply. Nope. He was out with his friends while mom and I baked the brownies. When they were cut, I took the center piece. Was that a jerk move? Yes. Do I regret it? No.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Those brownies look amaaaaaaazing :D

    100 books in a year is astonishing! Don't you hate it when education gets in the way of a good book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard because they forced me to read things I didn't want to read. It kind of temporarily killed my reading buzz.

      Delete