Monday, June 16, 2014

Ready, Set, Write: Moving Forward

Ready, Set, Write is a weekly writing intensive hosted Jamie Marrow,  Erin FunkAlison Miller,and Katy Upperman.
Over the next few months I will be checking in with Jamie and the gang to answer a few questions about my writing week. It's a great way to stay motivated and it might just be the kick in the pants I need to get my life in order.


1.  How I did on last week’s goals: I rocked it. I finished my edits and sent it off to a beta reader. I spent a
few hours to work on a two paged synopsis. I also started my outline for my Camp NaNoWriMo novel.

2.  My goal(s) for this week: I'm keeping it simple this week. I'm going to continue on the outline and work on the synopsis.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: This is the funniest mistake I found in my manuscript:: "I fell to the ground, the knife still impaling me abdomen."

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week: The biggest challenge I faced was defiantly the synopsis. It forever to boil down the main plot point. Now I need to make sure it makes sense and add a little voice.

5.  Something I love about my WIP: Since I stated outlining my new WIP I really started to love my MC. I'm really interested in creating a main character who is malicious and doesn't change at the end of the novel. She's still going to be likable, but her actions and intentions throughout the novel aren't exactly pure.

What are you're goals this week?

18 comments:

  1. Ooh I like the sound of your new WIP. It would be nice to see a story where the MC isn't exactly the 'hero'. Good luck with outlining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting so much work done last week! Your new MC sounds fascination! I'm curious to see how you'll get a character arc without her changing much. It would definitely make it a unique story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malicious yet likeable - completely intrigued by your MC. Wait - what does that say about me?! Also, congrats on all the accomplishments! Those synopses are SO tricky! Hope you have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, typos! They do make it editing a little more fun, haha.

    I adore the sound of your new MC. I love characters who live in that murky space between good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malicious and likable make me think of Regina George from Mean Girls, haha... And I love me/my fails. They always make me think of Irish accents. Good luck on your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing the edits! ^^

    Synopses are tricky beasts! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a simple week for me too. But your goals don't actually sound very simple...good luck getting them done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine writing the synopsis is the hardest part. So great job getting a good start on it! Good luck finishing it up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing synopses is so hard! I find it hardest to inject voice when you're trying to summarize an entire novel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Synopses are the worst. It's so tough to make your story sound original when it's boiled down to so little, don't you find? Good luck finishing it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. I love finding funny typos like that in my MS. Congrats on meeting your goals! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a pretty awesome typo. Glad you are doing well with your manuscript. Good luck this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on meeting your goals, especially since you had some tricky stuff to get done! Edits and writing a synopsis are never fun. Your "mistake" line cracked me up. I hadn't thought of picking a favorite line based on that, but hey, why not? I've found even worse errors that totally threw off the meaning of a sentence or made it sound completely inappropriate lol. Best of luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finishing your edits! I love the idea of a character that's malicious and doesn't change at the end of the novel. Good luck with your writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Synopses are the WORST! Great job finishing your edits, Leslie, and best of luck with your goals in the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha! That "mistake" you found is awesome! Congrats on finishing edits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with those pesky outlines and synopses! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I love that mistake. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete