Monday, June 23, 2014

Ready, Set, Write! Finding the Spark

Ready, Set, Write is a weekly writing intensive hosted Jamie Marrow,  Erin FunkAlison Miller,and Katy Upperman.
Over the next few months I will be checking in with Jamie and the gang to answer a few questions about my writing week.


1.  How I did on last week’s goals: I did okay. The synopsis didn't really change, but I've found working on a new story refreshing. I jotted down a few ideas and some scenes for my July novel (is that cheating? eh, I don't care)

2.  My goal(s) for this week: Finish Camp NaNo outline or at least figure out how to end it.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 
“I was Prom Queen once,” he said, “in the nineties. You’re not missing much."

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week: The biggest challenge this week was the the internet. Rewatched every episode of Teen Wolf before the new season airs today. It was mainly a distraction

5.  Something I love about my WIP: I mentioned last week how I loved how vicious my MC was, and how she wasn't going to change by the end of the book. That's still true, however in outlining I discovered I still need my MC to show some development or else what's the point of the book. She can't be one layer of mean. So I'm giving her flaws and mistakes that she can learn from, while still maintaining that lovable maliciousness. It will defiantly be a challenge that I'm up for.

What are you're goals this week?

10 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you're writing an unlikable MC. Sounds fun! I think giving her some development might make readers connect with her more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! Not cheating. I am forever jotting down thoughts and bits of dialogue for other stories I may work on next. :)

    Hope you have another wonderful writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that line you shared, Leslie! So intriguing. Best of luck knocking out that Camp Nano outline, this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet can definitely be distracting! I struggle with that, too ;). Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the line you shared, Leslie! And as for working on your July project, I think that's great. Anything that keeps you writing, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'One layer of mean' Ha! I love that line. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, Teen Wolf is SUCH a distraction…too many pretty boys! Hope you can get away from it and finish your outline this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the prom queen line, and don't tell me Teen Wolf is already back on! I just finished OITNB and thought I had some good weeks ahead, TV free. Alas! At least I can follow the season as it airs now, instead of binge watching. That's what really eats up my free time, haha...

    Good luck on your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's never cheating to work ahead on a story. Go with the inspiration flow! That prom queen line is a winner. Good luck with your outline this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love delightfully vicious characters. Hopefully you have a lot of fun writing her!

    ReplyDelete