Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Daring to Suck: NaNo Chronicles Pt 1

So I've decide to keep a log of my progress on the blog to go a long with Teaser Tuesday. Kind of like a NaNo journal only shorter.

Day 1: I started writing at midnight in a Google Hangout with a few people from my region. I clocked off after an hour into it to get ready for bed. After my nightly preparations I continued to write until I reached 2k words. I wrote more in-between classes and during free time. By the end of the day I reached 3,775 words. Good First day.

Day 2: I only write a little after midnight. After class I wrote a little more. Later I went out to see a show a other things then I headed to a Write-In. This was my first Write-In ever. It was so much fun. I got a nice chunk of words done and chatted with other writers. It's nice to actually talk to a NaNoer in person rather than online. It makes everything so much more real. By the end of the night I reached 6,667 words. Great second day.

Day 3: Saturday! I slept good. But I have work in the afternoon. No writing done before then. I get back to writing around 9:30 pm. It took a long time to get back into it but in the end I got out 1,667 words before midnight. I ended the third day with 8,333 words Monday's word count. Still a day ahead. Homework time.

Day 4: Daylight savings time. I got an extra hour of sleep. However my phone didn't change time zones automatically like I thought. So my 8:30 am alarm wakes me up at 7:30 am. I write a couple hundred words before I get ready for rehearsal. After rehearsal I go to a Write-In. by the end of it I reached 10k. This is a personal milestone for me because my last NaNo novel didn't quite make it there. I only hope to keep moving forward from there.

Day 5: Monday. It was defiantly slower getting into things. I wrote myself in a pickle the day before and I hadn't quite thought of a way to solve it. That's what I love about NaNoWriMo, I can be completely stuck at a scene and BS my way though it. All I'm really focused on is getting to the end. Since today was super busy I didn't get many words in. By the end of the day I reach 11,136 words.

Now it's Tuesday, as of right now I haven't written anything yet but I've been wanting to post this for a while along with my teaser. While I have some funny lines and nice parts to share. I think this is one of my funnier snippets. Remember this is just a rough draft. it still sucks.


           “So Grayson, right, or do you prefer to be called the Gray Eagle when we are alone.”
            “Grayson is fine,” he said.
            “What the hell are you doing here?”
            “I was just as surprised as you,” he began to chuckle. “I figured since I would be here longer than expected I should enroll for the rest of the semester.” His laugh grew louder.
            “What’s so funny?” I asked.
            “I’m sorry, but this is hilarious. Really, do you know how funny you are?”
            “Explain,” I said, not finding his tone amusing.
            “Come on, the glasses, the hat, the baggy clothes, oh this is just too rich.”
            “Are you making fun of my alter ego?”
            “You don’t find this the least bit cliché?” he continued to laugh.
“It is called suspension of disbelief.” I said. He continued to laugh. Annoyed that this conversation was going nowhere, I brought up roots from under the ground. They wrapped around Grayson’s feet. When he tried to break free I would tighten them.
            “Think I’m funny still?”
            “I thought you only threw rocks,” he said.
            “I’m multitalented,” I smirked. “I am called the Vine Vixen.”
            “I thought that was just a sexy alliteration. I be completely honest, your name sounds like a name for a villain.”
            “This is coming from the ‘Gray Eagle.’ Your real name is literally in your superhero persona’s name.”
            “Do not judge me,” he said.

There you have it. I still have a long way to go but at least I'm making progress. I know this school week is going to be slower than before because I have to work on papers and projects. But as long as I get my 1,667 words in I'll be fine.

How is NaNo going for you?

Happy Writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment