Wednesday, October 17, 2012

YA Highway RTW: Attempting NaNo...Again


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is: Are you doing NaNoWriMo, or have you ever? Does having a deadline inspire you?

Oh NaNoWriMo. I've participated (and lost) in 2009 and 2010. I could blame it on a number of things, poor planning, to busy, or just plan procrastination. Whatever way the cookie crumbles, it all comes down to motivation. I didn't have it. The deadline was just a date. Both times around two weeks in if I wasn't caught up with the word count I just gave up. It's sad.
This year I am determined to finish. I've been struggling with my WIP lately and I think I'm just losing faith in myself as a writer. I haven't finished a novel in over four years. When that whole thing didn't work out self doubt kicked in and I don't know, I haven't been able to finish anything since. College doesn't help either. Since there is no deadline looming over me, I keep telling myself I have more time. Days pass, weeks, months. One year later when I finally look back at the story I lose interest. It sucks. I don't want to be like that. And this defiantly can't happen in the future.
This year's NaNo for me is more of a confidence booster. I need to see if I still have it in me. Even if I don't reach 50k I still want to be far enough in my story to finish after NaNo. It's going to be difficult this year. November, quite honestly, will be my busiest month. I have multiple papers due, a huge project for my stage lighting class, and I'll be assistant stage managing a show that goes into tech the last week of November.
Lucky for me I have a couple cheerleaders and my roommate has been instructed to yell at me when I'm procrastinating. Also I'll be able to attending a few local Write-Ins and I have a week off for Thanksgiving.
I've already started outlining and planning for this year. There is a synopsis under my "What I'm Working On" page as well as my author profile on the site. Add me as a buddy and I'll do the same. I could really use a extra boost of encouragement once November hits.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? Are you a planner or a pantser? How do you get your encouragement/motivation?

Happy Reading!

17 comments:

  1. You're not the first person I've heard say that November is not the best month for NaNo. Someone even suggested a crummy month like January for it. I think there might be something to this. :) Last year I only wrote 19,000 words during NaNo, but it wasn't a total write-off for me (hardy har). I've continued to work on that story off and on since then and plan on trying to finish it this year during NaNo. I think it's perfectly okay to not try and 'win' NaNo, but to pound out words that make you happy and that you want to continue working on. For me it's all about the motivation and accountability of others furiously writing too, you know? Best of luck with however you approach NaNo this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I got passed 10,000 words the last year I did it. My subgoals this year are to write everyday and not to stop. Thank you. :D

      Delete
  2. yeah, November is a terrible month for a challenge like that, with end of semesters in colleges and Thanksgiving ...
    And I understand your frustration. I did write a few short stories and a novella this year, but I haven't finished a novel in almost a year and that a long time for me (since I write "full time"). I could give excuses, like the move from Brazil to the US, and how messy everything was around that date, but still ...
    Anyway, here we are, right? And we're going to kick NaNo's ass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, November is a hard month to do it. If I was still in school or college it'd be even harder because in NZ/Australia our school years finish late November so that's when all the exams are, plus it's the lead up to Christmas...!
    In saying that, if you're determined I reckon you can do it! I'm cheering you on! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. November is quite quiet in England so it's an okay month for me. There's no major celebrations - maybe Bonfire Night but that's just one night of standing around a bonfire and watching fireworks. And work is pretty chilled.

    I wish you all the luck with NaNo. Don't stress about reaching 50K. Just get whatever you can done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I'm going to go a little against the grain here and really encourage you to win NaNo. Why? Because it sounds like you need the confidence boost. You need to show yourself you have the discipline and drive to write a novel, especially after going so long without finishing one. It really will do you good, I think, to come away from NaNo having written 50+K words. Go for it, Leslie! I know you can do it! And we'll all be cheering you on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin. I'm really going to try. I promise.

      Delete
  6. You can do it! Good luck! I completely sympathize on the college thing. I tried last year as a freshman and it just didn't work out (though that was partly because my chosen story idea didn't stick very well). Now it's my sophomore year and I'm determined to get it done.

    Cheerleaders and write-ins are awesome! I haven't gotten to go to any live write-ins yet so I'm really hoping that I'll be able to this year.

    P.S. I'm totally jealous that you have a week off for Thanksgiving. Counting the weekend, I have five days and I lose two of them to the drive home and back. But it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I have that break. I literally go into Tech the Sunday I get back. I don't drive so I'm banking on getting some writing done in the car (No wifi so that will help.)
      Thanks. :D

      Delete
  7. Hi! I'm so inspired by your honesty in this post! And it sounds like, despite being busy, you'll have lots of people and motivation in your corner to see you through! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This is going to be a good year I can feel it. :D

      Delete
  8. I'll be cheering you on for sure! Thanks for your encouragement on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winning will definitely send your confidence through the roof! I'll look you up and try to gently poke you if it appears that you're giving up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can do it! It's hard sometimes to not lose faith in yourself as a writer, but hang on to your dream. Winning is awesome! It doesn't have to be The Best Novel Ever Written, but to have a completed novel just waiting for revisions - there's so much potential. You will have lots of people cheering you on - good luck!

    ReplyDelete