Wednesday, July 18, 2012

YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic: When you need creative inspiration, where do you go?

Since I am home for the summer I have limited transportation to go where I want to go when I write. So most of the time I am stuck at home. Sometimes I'm desperate for a change of scenery so I move around my house. Sometimes I go to the kitchen. Other times I go to the living room. I rarely write in my bedroom. I'm boring I know.

One thing that really got my creative juices flowing was walking around the block with my mom. I talk a lot, but when I am at home no one wants to listen to me rambling about my WIP. When I am walking with my mom I finally have a chance to explain to someone what I'm writing, new ideas and how excited I am to finish. And she listens! That's all I ask for. Once I'm back in the house I can crank out about 1k. 

Sometimes for creative inspiration I go to my best friend. My current WIP is about two best friends and I basically take elements from our friendship (the good and the bad) and put it in my story. Whether it's through text, tweets or I have the rare chance to hang out with her, she always inspires new ideas for my WIP. 

Reading also inspires me. It reminds me of what I my ultimate goal is when I write. Sometimes I lose sight of that. 

So tell me readers, where do do you for creative inspiration? Who inspires you to write? Leave a comment below.

Happy Reading!

P.S. If you want to learn more about YA Highway and Road Trip Wednesday go here.



19 comments:

  1. Reading is a big one for me too. You're so right about talking things out to get the creative juices flowing. Both my husband and my sister are great sounding boards, and I often find myself coming away from those conversations with great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I talk I realize how crazy my ideas are and I wonder if they will even make since when I get to the scene. Most of the time I'm right.

      Delete
  2. Talking about my WIP always gets my creative juices flowing! Sometimes I come up with ideas all by myself (just by talking things out), and sometimes my conversation partner has brilliant ideas. At any rate, definitely a good source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is just someone to talk to she doesn't really respond with ideas. I don't think she understands me. She just likes spending time with me. I'm glad you have someone to go back and forth with.

      Delete
  3. I can talk about my WIP with my hubby, but I confess that sometimes I get shy when my friends ask about it and I end up not revealing much ... I'm always afraid they'll think I'm crazy LOL
    To me, it's reading and listening to music ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I talk to my friends I contemplate on telling them the ending. Then I just say "screw it" and tell them anyway. It's most likely to change in revisions.

      Delete
  4. I talk about my WIP with my dad. Definitely helps! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's refreshing to just let it all out instead of keeping it all inside. Thanks for commenting. :D

      Delete
  5. I also find that it helps to have someone to talk things through with. Even if they don't say anything back. :) My hubby is the best for this, I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have someone to talk too. My brain feels like it's going to explode until I do. :D

      Delete
  6. You are so lucky to have someone to bounce ideas off of! Most of the people in my life just think I'm nuts for writing, much less writing YA. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my parents think I'm nuts too. At least I'm not out in the streets.

      Delete
  7. Friends as an inspiration for a friendship story - makes lovely sense.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have crazy antics. I'm keeping a lot of it out because it might make my characters too psychotic...

      Delete
  8. It's always great to have a support system when you're writing! :) I love my writerly friends for that, both online and off... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writer friends are awesome. Without them I would question my sanity...

      Delete
  9. Moving around is something I actually also do! It gets me into "right, time to work!" mood and think about my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With limited transportation it's what I have to do. But I found my special place in my house to work.

      Delete
  10. This is what my mom had to say...
    "I do love spending time with you. Your zest for reading, writing ....and life makes me happy. I don't understand everything you're talking about, but I don't think you're nuts...well a little :-)....it runs in the family. So tell me, what does WIP stand for? I looked through the comments hoping to find it, but everyone else seemed to know what you're talking about. I'm sure you told me before, but it didn’t stick."

    ReplyDelete