Wednesday, December 5, 2012

YA Highway RTW: Revisions


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is: For many, December is a post-NaNoWriMo revision haze! How do you approach editing/revising? Any tips or tricks or resources you can share?

Never ask me for advice. EVER. Since I finished NaNoWriMo I've been in slowly working on revisions. Nothing too heavy because I don't want to tire myself. I'll take a break after this first edit.

How I approach revision: 

1. I do a super basic grammar and spelling check. I fix sentence structure and add some more detail and description. Add scenes to fit inconsistencies. I find it easier to just go over the simple stuff on the computer.
2. Print it, shred it, burn it and scatter the ashes all over central Indiana.
3. Print it again. This is when I freak out and delete/rewrite everything. Scenes get cut and added, more setting and detail are infused characters die (or come back to life).
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 about six billion times
5. Done

When I do have it printed out. I like to read the story without making any corrections, notating what I need to work on when I go back to it. Sometimes I like to use Post-Its to indicate what I needed to change.

That's all I got. Does anybody have any revising advice? How do you approach revisions?

Happy Revising!


1 comment:

  1. Number 2 made me laugh! I know that feeling! XD

    ReplyDelete