Saturday, April 5, 2014

Where I've Been

Wow, it's been a while hasn't it. I mean it's to be expected right? I start school saying I'm going to keep up with the blog, but the minute I get busy with school or theatre everything falls apart. But you might not have to worry about that any more. I'M ALMOST DONE WITH COLLEGE!

Holy crap, how the years have flown by. I started this blog at the end of my senior year in high school with
I closed my last  college production as stage manager.
.My parents took a picture my picture on the slideshow.
stars in my eyes. This started out as a column in my high school newspaper. I was then informed that nobody liked reading about me in the school newspaper, show I shifted to the internet. I was graduating anyway, and I always wanted to run a blog. I was revising my first novel after 50 rejections from agents. I wanted to find my place in this crazy world of publishing. It took a long time for me to find my place in the blog world. I intended to do book reviews and other reading and writing related stuff, but it didn't excited me. I did challenges and hosted contest with very little success. It took me a while to realize what I wanted this blog to be and I'm still not sure where it's going. Things change. I grow up and things that were important to me four years ago seem less so now. Don't get me wrong I have every intention to continue writing and trying to get published. It's just now I see what a huge time commitment it is to have other jobs and responsibilities while trying to write.

Honestly, I never will be a full time writer. I want a career in theatre and a writing career. I can have both right? There are a lot of young adult writers with other jobs and careers. What can't I be one of them. Writing has my heart, but theatre has my soul. I spoke with a professional stage manager about my future and expectations. He said, "Will you be happy doing anything other than theatre?" Without hesitation I said, "No." It was right then and there when I realized theatre will always be a part of me. I can't change it. As for writing, I can't shake that either. Even if I never get published, I will always be a writer.

Now What?
Since I'm graduating in a month, I've been getting this question a lot. Sure I have plan. I plan on working in theatre for as long as possible. It's funny that I ever thought I would have any control over this. My resume is out there with several theatre companies, but I am still in limbo. And it SUCKS. I'm not going to comment on the search anymore, be cause if you already go to school with me you know I will not shut up about my future.
EDITING!
I've found something that takes my mind off of this pesky job search. Suspension of Disbelief. My 2012 NaNo Novel. I think I mentioned before that I finished draft number 2/I finally wrote the ending over the summer. After a couple rewrites and months of opening the document and rereading the first few chapters over and over again, I'm finally giving the manuscript a good polish. I gave myself a deadline so I can stay on track. It's a good distraction.

Will things be different from now on? Who knows. The four years I've spent running this blog. Haven't been for nothing. I've meet a great community of bloggers and writers through YA Highways Road Trip Wednesday and What's Up Wednesday. I'm going to try to get back into the groove of things, but you know me, breaking promises and being inconsistent is kind of my thing. It shouldn't be, but I have a four year track record of it.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment