Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What's Up Wednesday 8/14/13

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme for readers and writers to give updates on what's happening in their lives. If you want to find out to find out more check out Jamie Morrow's blog and sign up.

What I'm Reading: I finished two books this week Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins and Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger. Both gave me feels in their own special way. I'm currently reading The Lost Hero the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series. I read all the Percy Jackson books in high school and I'm glad I can visit Camp Half-Blood once again.
What I'm Writing: I'm over halfway through Suspension of Disbelief revisions and my timeline is all screwed up. Originally the book took place over the course of six months, but I ran into a road block when I realized that winter happens. My MC has earth powers, the cold defiantly affects her. So now I have to incorporate the weather. On the plus side it did allow me to add a Halloween dance scene, where a lot of their classmates were dressed like their superhero personas. All and all I'm having a lot of fun with it. Once WriteOnCon is over, I'm going to put the pedal to the metal. I go back to school soon and my free time will be limited.

What Inspires Me Right Now: No. Just no.

What Else and I've Been Up To: If you follow me on twitter (@laboyden) you already knowWriteOnCon has invaded my life. If you don't know what that is right now stop what you're doing and CHECK IT OUT! I'm all over the forums and tweeting like a madwoman. I enjoy reading everybody's work and giving feedback. I posted my first 250 words, the first 5 pages and a really rough query of Suspension of Disbelief. I didn't have a query until yesterday, but I wanted to get feedback so I can know which direction to take. No responses yet and right now it's buried deep in the forums. But I'm sure someone will get to it eventually. I got some positive feedback on my other post. It was the confidence boost I needed. If you're attending the conference and would like to take a look at my threads here are the links.

Query
1st 250 Words
1st 5 Pages
But Seriously...


Well that's what's up with me? How are you doing?

14 comments:

  1. Ooo I loved Lola, and I've been eyeing up Let The Sky Fall. I sing the Adele song every time I see the cover pop up on the Internet.

    Good luck at WriteOnCon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, good to know I'm not the only one who does that!

      Delete
  2. Earth powers affected by the cold, that sounds interesting! Your Halloween scene sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with LOLA. There is so much to love about that book! Will head over to check out your 250 in a few! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to check out WriteOnCon, though I'm really feeling indie publication might be a better fit for me than commercial publishing at this time in the market. It can't hurt to at least see what other YA historical writers have going on at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving WriteOn Con! And Lola and Let The Sky Fall are both great reads. Good luck with your writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola and Let the Sky Fall are two of my favorite books! I'm so glad you liked them too.

    I have somehow missed WriteOnCon every single year (even though I always hear about it ahead of time). I was totally going to try and participate this year, but then forgot about it until I read your post. So I'm going to go over there RIGHT NOW and see if I can still get in on some of the action.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved LOLA so much. All this Perkins novel talk is making me crave a reread. Soon! Finding inconsistencies in your story can be like a punch to the gut, but it can also open up cool possibilities. Sounds like you've done exactly that! (That Halloween dance sounds fun. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for WriteOnCon! And best of luck as it continues.. Here's to lots of awesome feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed LOLA. It's one of my favorite contemps. Stephanie Perkins rocks.

    Best of luck with your writing goals for the week, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WriteOnCon is awesome. It helped me so much last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read LET THE SKY FALL, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! WriteOnCon is a blast--I'll definitely head over to check out your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "No. Just no."

    I know the feeling...

    Hooray for WriteOnCon! It seems a little intimidating to me, but I'm glad you're getting good feedback and having a good experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Halloween dance scene sounds really fun! Timeline problems are a big thing for me, too. Good luck untangling them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read the WriteOnCon archives since I missed it.

    That's an awesome reading list.

    Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete