Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What's Up Wednesday 8/7/13

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme for readers and writers to give updates on what's happening in their lives. If you want to find out to find out more check out Jamie Morrow's blog and sign up.

What I'm Reading: Last week I read Anna and the French Kiss per your suggestion and I LOVED IT. I was a little hesitant at first because I'm not to biggest contemporary YA reader. But about a third of the way through I couldn't put it down. I finished it around one in the morning yesterday. I can't wait to read Lola and the Boy Next Door. What I'm reading right now is Transparent by Natalie Whipple. It's really good. The great thing about this is that I've been following Natalie for a couple years now and followed in real time her road to publication. I'm glad I finally got my hands on a copy..
What I'm Writing: I finished Suspension of Disbelief (for real this time). I don't know what type of draft to call it though. It was a second draft, but the ending was added so the ending is a first draft. I guess I should just call it a second draft. Well anyway, now I'm editing it again. This edit is more for adding details that I skipped. I'm also adding new scenes and cutting them so it could flow better. I think this will be my last lazy revision. When I'm finished I'll have to to print it out and give it a heavy duty face lift. My goals for this week is to finish the lazy revision. I'm positive I can do it in a week, because it's so low pressure. I'm exploring the story more and having a lot of fun doing it.

What Inspires Me Right Now: Oh God, that word again. Can I say myself or is that narcissistic? Okay let me explain. I have not finished a manuscript since 2008. I've had ideas and wrote parts of stories over the past five years but I couldn't finish anything. Even after I completed NaNo last November, the story wasn't complete. I needed a confidence booster. So I made a goal to finish this novel this summer no matter what. I guess it was that drive and determination that inspired me to finished. Since then I've had new ideas and ways to improve my story along the way. Does that answer the question?

What Else and I've Been Up To: WriteOnCon. WriteOnCon. WriteOnCon. Yes, it's that time of year again. WriteOnCon the online Kidlit conference is upon us. It officially starts next week, but the forums are open. I was worried about participating since I was so concentrated on finishing my novel. But now that the draft is completed I could relax a little and enjoy the conference. I'm kind of bummed that I can't enter contest judged by agents. I was hoping to have a polished manuscript and query for the Ninja Agents but that's not going to happen. I might post my first 250 words for a critique, but at this point I'm not comfortable enough. Last year I spent most of my time looking for a CP but all of them fell through. I don't know if I could go through with it again. I haven't had the best luck with CPs. I found a good one from a different site, but when my laptop broke we lost touch. I'm still debating whether or not I should seek one another one. It's such a delicate process, I really don't want to mess it up.

Well that's what's up with me? How are you doing?

7 comments:

  1. You should totally post at writeoncon - the feedback I received last year was so helpful! I'll be posting my stuff this weekend and I will definitely look for yours if you post! Good luck!

    Oh - and congrats on finishing a story! There's nothing wrong with being inspired by yourself and what you are doing - I think that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's narcissistic at all to be inspired by your own progress. That's awesome that you finished an MS, Leslie! Definitely worth being proud of and inspired by. :D

    I loved ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and I've been dying to reread it lately. I think hearing how much you loved it is giving me the push I needed to actually do a reread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats finishing your story. Inspiring yourself isn't narcisstic, it's inspiring!

    And I loved Anna and the French Kiss, and Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Transparent. So yay to you reading lots of books that I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can definitely say yourself! Go Team You ^_^

    I really hope I can find some time to join in with WOC this year.

    Best of luck with editing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you have to worry about posting finished, polished work to the WOC forums. The point of the forums isn't to get an agent, but to invite critique and improve your work. The agent feedback helps us get an idea of how an industry insider sees our work. Agent tips and advice are golden, whether we're on our first or final draft! Indeed, my understanding is that if an agent likes what s/he reads and requests pages, you can always say, "Thanks, but I really need to revise the ms a few more times--can I get back to you then?" They'll respect that since this is not quite the same as actually submitting a query to an agent.

    I look forward to seeing you in the forums, Leslie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing your draft. I had the same problem for a while, plenty of ideas but unable to see any of them through. So finishing is definitely cause for celebration.

    Enjoy the online conference :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're liked Transparent; that's on my TBR too! Also, I think I really need to read Stephanie Perkins' books. All I ever hear is praise for ANNA & the FRENCH KISS (and LOLA), but like you I'm not much of a contemporary or romance kind of reader. So I've always been hesitant to pick them up.

    It's totally ok to be inspired by yourself and your accomplishments. I mean, you set a big goal for yourself and you did it. So kudos! Congrats on finishing your manuscript!

    ReplyDelete