Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Resurfacing

     So it seems like I disappeared off the face of the earth. Well I did for a while. And then I came back. But then life happened, finals, then I got sick, then theatre happened. So that pretty much sums up my disappearance for the past...seven months...oops.

     I made a lot of progress with the blog last year and I really got into a groove. When I didn't have my laptop for three months, I just lost it. Four months later and here we are. I've literally had this post in my draft folder for months and I've changed the numbers multiple times. Yeah.

     I wrote a long time ago that I didn't believe in writer's block, just procrastination and laziness. But for the past few months I've been stuck. I just keep opening the file and...nothing. I have to admit that I was wrong. I keep telling myself that Creative Writing ruined me, that I lost my confidence after that whole ordeal, but that's not it. It's been over two months since I got out of school. There should be no more excuses. But here I am. Blocked.

     I've had a pretty active school year and summer. I've been working in the theatre nonstop. I have about two months before I work on my next show. This should be the time for relaxing and getting back on track, but instead it's filled with laziness and procrastination. I go back to school in a month and I really want to get back into the habit of blogging. First semester I did a really good job of balancing blogging, school and theatre. I just have to start fresh.

Reading: To help with my writer's block I've been reading a lot lately. I finished the first two books in the Divergent trilogy and the first three installment Mortal Instruments series. The books were fabulous I just didn't feel as inspired. Usually reading sparks inspiration and motivates me to work. This time it didn't. Maybe I need to just read more since I haven't been reading all year. Who knows? I'm going to the library soon so I'll get my fill of books for the summer.
Writing: Well this writer's block sucks. My goal was to have Suspension of Disbelief edited and polished in time for WriteOnCon but that's less than a month away. Unless I get over this writer's block and work really hard that's not going to happen. As for new ideas I got nothing. Sometimes a good way to get rid of writer's block is to start something new, but I have no new ideas. I really just want to focus on my current projects. Unremarkable hasn't been touched in almost a year. I'm going to try to look at that, but it's one of those projects that midway through I wanted to go in a new direction. I'm planning on getting back to it eventually, but Suspension of Disbelief is my top priority.
Chocolate: Milkshakes. That is all.

So what's next? More Road Trip Wednesdays? More random updates on my writing goals? Who knows? I'm not going to make any promises. Not right now at least. Right now I need to focus on me. Try to remember why I love writing. If anybody (who is not my mother) can give me some advice it would be most appreciated. Leave something in the comments or tweet @laboyden.
Also, I'm glad to be back.
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment