Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What's Up Wednesday 7/31

Due to my seven month absence, I totally missed the What's Up Wednesday boat. Lucky for me I rowed out in the middle of the sea, waved my absent blogger flag and hopped right on. What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme for readers and writers to give updates on what's happening in their lives. If you want to find out to find out more check out Jamie Morrow's blog and sign up.

What I'm Reading: I just finished Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood. I loved it. I requested the sequel to to come to my library, but it won't get here for another couple days. Right now I'm torn between reading Anna and the French Kiss or The Diviners next. Both are two completely different books, but it might be nice to get out of the paranormal world every once and a while.

What I'm Writing: I recently finished my slight revision of my NaNo novel Suspension of Disbelief. I mentioned last year that I had to stop and go over it because I didn't like where the ending was going. Well life came along and punched me in the face, so I didn't get started until two weeks ago. Anywho the first 3/4 of the book is fixed. Now I have to tackle the ending. Endings are hard. I've always envisioned how I wanted the novel to end, but getting there is the challenge. It's like one decision the main character or any character makes affects the entire ending. And right now I'm at a crossroad. When you think about that, it's a lot of power. I need to choose wisely. My goals for this week is to finish this draft. I'm getting myself in NaNo mode, because frankly this is the only way it's going to happen.

What Inspires Me Right Now: I've been reading a lot this week for inspiration, but nothing has been sparking. Since Suspension of Disbelief is a superhero novel I've been watching lots of clips from Smallville and other superhero shows. But really nothing is popping out screaming INSPIRATION!  But I've been working through it. Lately I've been trying to write with music. I put my headphones in and listen to the John Williams Station on Pandora. It's kind of nice to listen to movie scores, except most of the time the music does not fit the scene and draws me out of the story. I think I just need to make my own playlist.

What Else and I've Been Up To: Since I've been back home not much. I've been
reading a lot and trying to write like I've said above. I haven't left the house much in two weeks. My only freedoms is when my mom doesn't want to dive/pick up my brother from work or band camp. I don't know. I'm kind of dull I guess. Whatever.

Well that's it. What have you guys been up too?

Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. I remember Smallville! I used to watch that show all time. :) Good luck revising the ending of your NaNo project. I agree, endings are the hardest part for me.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smallville was ten years of father-daughter bonding time. Even when I went to college I would call my dad after watching the episode. Good memories. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the blogosphere--it's good to see you again!! Best of luck with that ending this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Smallville. It was a classic in its early days.

    Best of luck getting that ending into shape ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smallville did peak in it's early days, but it was too slow to get Clark becoming Superman. The ending was anti-climactic but It was nice seeing future Clark.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Reading is a great sorce of inspiration, and also a great distraction. There are so many amazing books in the world. It's crazy to think they all came out of people's heads. Imagination is a wonderful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that was so fascinating about reading. Also as a writer you could live in so many different world you create. I love it. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Anna and the French Kiss! Because then you can read Lola and the Boy Next Door and OMG! Anna was great but Lola is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! :D

    Good luck w/ revisions. Necessary evil! I hate them. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I'll read that one first. Thank you. Also revisions ick. but it has to be done. Thanks

      Delete
  6. Welcome back to the blogosphere! Happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it's good to be back. ;)

      Delete
  7. Good luck finishing your draft this week, getting back into the swing of things is hard!

    I vote for ANNA it's such a great, feel good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm voting for ANNA, also--it's a great book. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Endings drive me nuts - I always know how I want it to end, but the "getting there" takes me awhile to figure out. Good luck with your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you joined us! I'm voting for ANNA next because it is one of my absolute favourites. So good! In fact, this is kind of making me want to reread it. :-)

    And I have to agree that endings are hard. It's so hard to know how to wrap something up without sounding trite or lame. You've made awesome progress on your story, though, so that's awesome.

    Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard good things about BORN WICKED and I really need to get around to reading my copy already. I love ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, so I can't help but recommend that one.

    Good luck finishing your draft this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently read (and loved!) BORN WICKED too! I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. Jessica's writing is fantastic! I haven't read THE DIVINERS, but I absolutely adore ANNA. Read that one next. :-)

    Best of luck with your revising in the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, endings are hard, and every turn your story takes along the way can affect that ending. And it needs the right balance of predictable/unpredictable to be believable and satisfying for the reader.

    Why do we put ourselves through this again...? ;)

    I've heard good things about both ANNA and THE DIVINERS, but I haven't read either, so I'm afraid you'll get no help from me there.

    I hope you have a great writing week, Leslie, and that your ending comes together perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Anna and the French Kiss.

    Welcome back to blogging and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete