Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Camp NaNo Chronicles 2016: Crossing the Finish Line

Welp, I did it


I can't "officially" win until tomorrow, but it doesn't matter. I hit my goal. It got difficult towards the end, I'm not going to lie. My story wanted to wrap up before I was ready. When it did I was about 800 words short of my goal. I had to go back and see where I could add a few paragraphs until I got to the 50k.

I'm actually very happy about how my story ended. It totally deviated from where I wanted it to end, but it was for the better if I do write a second book (and I hope I do someday). I'm going to take a break, then go back to Suspension of Disbelief revisions. Eventually, I'll go back to this one and try to add another 20k-30k to it. We'll see. I definitely think this is one of the best first drafts I've written. It's still crap, believe me, but I could actually use some of this crap during revisions.

What really go me through this however was sprinting with @NaNoWordSprints on twitter. They have sprint leaders running sprints every couple hours. I once sprinted in four thirty minute chunks of time with only short breaks between them. Those sprints helped me reach beyond my daily word count goals.

I also, took some inspiration from the Camp NaNoWriMo Care Packages that popped up in my inbox every now and then. My favorite being Zoraida Cordova's message titled: Light it on Fire. It was about adding an obstacle  to the story to discover something new about your characters. I took it a little too literally...


 Well since I literally wrote the last half of my novel since my last post, it was hard to find a good teaser section. It's a little very rough right now but here it is.

 Step one of the perfect Cinderella story is a grand entrance. I glanced over the top of the stairs, watching the guest dance away. It was Fiona and Gabriella’s turn, playing the part of the “ugly stepsisters.” The twins made their way through the crowd, pushing past the eager girls waiting in line until they reached Cyrus.
Gabriella push away the current girl on his arms while Fiona grabbed onto his hand to dance. This unorthodox method would get him in a state of confusion and rage. As they danced together, Gabriella pulled her sister away from the prince for her turn. Next the fighting began. I’ve seen them fight together to the death, stopping just before taking the life of the other. I was not prepared for the hilarity of slapping hands at each other. Cyrus tried to get away from the madness, but they grabbed on to him, facing him in my direction.
That was my cue.
I stepped to the top of the staircase. Rosemary made sure I was the only girl at the top. Pushing back the others so I was in his line of sight. Cyrus looked up, our eyes locking from the distance. He was far, but my heart rammed in my chest as if he were right next to me. I took one step down the stairs, his eyes followed me as I slowly made my way down.

 All right, that' s what I got for you. I'll probably do an official recap next week, but for now...


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment