Friday, September 18, 2015

I HAVE AN AGENT!

This is going to be a long post (That I may or may not have had queued up in my drafts for a couple weeks) so bear with me.

Today, I officially signed with a literary agent. I know, I can hardly believe it either. I've been working so hard for that past six years, I wish I could time travel and give 17 year-old Leslie a high five. So, let's start from the beginning.



My journey started back in 2009 when I started querying my first book. God, that book and query was terrible.. I made almost every mistake in the book. I trunked the book my freshman year of college and focused more on school and theatre.

In November 2012 I participated in NaNoWriMo and wrote Suspension of Disbelief. I reached the 50k, but didn't finish the book. In the summer of 2013 I finished the draft and started a long process of rewrites and revisions. I graduated college, moved to a new state and started a big girl job.

I started querying in August 2014. This time, I did more research, had people look at my query and critique it. I even had the guts to enter Sun vs. Snow earlier this year and got on Team Sun. My mentor Jenn Blackwood helped me whip my query into shape.

Flash forward to the beginning of September 2015. I was at dress rehearsal for a show I'm stage managing when I got an email notification. It was about fifteen minutes before we started the run, so I checked it on my phone. An agent asked if I was still interested in representation and if we could set up a phone call. I literally threw my phone and screamed. I responded quickly to set up our call and after a minor freak out, I regained my composure and started the run.

One the day of "the call" I was incredibly nervous. I did all the research, prepared questions and read all of the "Getting the Call" blog post, but I still felt like I was under prepared. The agent was great, she was professional, kind and answered all my questions. At the end of the conversation I was in such a state of shock, I had to ask it this an offer of rep. Seriously, I think at early on in the conversation she said she'd like to work with me and we continued as the conversation as usual, but in the back of my mind I was waiting for those words. She said it was an offer of rep and I was over the moon.

So without further ado, I am pleased to announce that I am now represented by Rachel Marks of Rebecca Friedman Literary Agency!!!

I have a long road ahead of me, but I am excited to see where it takes me.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D This is so exciting!!!! Way to go you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That's crazy exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete