Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What's Up Wednesday 2/11/15

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme for readers and writers to give updates on what's happening in their lives. If you want to find out to find out more check out Jaime Morrow's blog and Erin Funk's blog to sign up.



What I'm Reading:
 
A week flies by so fast doesn't it? Life happens you get busy and forget to pick up a book. I intend to finish Heir of Fire this week, but I left it at my internship and I won't be able to pick it up until later today.

What I'm Writing:  Plucking away at these revisions. Nothing special. I'm not at the place where I'm discovering something new about the story and characters. Bits and pieces yes, but there wasn't an ah-ha moment. The story needs to be torn apart, I'm not attached enough so that's good.
I need a critique partner or two. I've searching for one for a while. In the past I've tried, but it was a mixture of not clicking and bad timing. Hopefully I can find someone to work with and it will last.
Thankfully, I've had help, one of my closest friends reads for me. She helped me substantially with SoD edits and revisions.

What Works For Me: ????

What Else I've Been Up To: Sun vs Snow has kind of overshadowed my thoughts these past few weeks. It will be over soon. It's so stressful. I mean, it's one thing to query and pitch to agents privately. But this adds an extra layer of stress and pressure. No more contests after this. I'm going back in the slush where it's safe.
On the plus side of things, I've made some friends on twitter. It's great to have a support group. W all share a common goal, and I know one day we will.

What's up with you? How is your week going?

Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, every month I plan to read loads and I'm usually lucky if I manage even half of that. I own so many unread books it's actually quite embarrassing, but it at least means I've always got something to read!

    Best of luck with those revisions, you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your revisions, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope those revisions go well. Sometimes you have to tear something apart to get to the heart of it :)

    Sorry Sun Vs Snow is causing you so much stress, but I really hope it works out for you.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about contests - it's why I stopped entering after even Twitter Pitch contests started distracting me from writing! Hope it goes well for you anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you searched for a local critique group? Typically you'll find one in any corner of the world, whether they meet at the library or starbucks. I found one of my CP's through WriteOnCon, and several others through blogging. It's definitely tricky to find the right match, but once you do, you are set for life. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been lacking reading time lately too. Hope you get some time to sit down with a book soon. Have you checked out Maggie Stiefvater's CP match up? I know she does them once or twice a year. Might be a good opportunity to link up with someone. Good luck, and have a great week, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The week really does fly by, doesn't it? Hope your revisions get to that ah-ha place soon. I know what you mean about that. It's those things that really get you attached to and excited by a story. Here's hoping this is the week that happens! Good luck again with #SunvsSnow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contests are definitely stressful! I was going to suggest Pitch Madness coming up next week, but maybe you are right to take a break from the stress. I do think the best part is getting to know other writers. You can always query an agent, but the camraderie online is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made it into SunVsSnow too! Which team are you on, would love to check out your entry! Congrats on making progress with revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you were on Sun Vs Snow, congrats! I hope it turns out great!
    I just got Heir of Fire from my library as well as three other books! Yikes! Lots of reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with revisions! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Contests stress me out out too! I get way more hopeful than I would from just querying, and then way more dissappointed.

    ReplyDelete