Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What's Up Wednesday 9/10/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme for readers and writers to give updates on what's happening in their lives. If you want to find out to find out more check out Jaime Morrow's blog and Erin Funk's blog to sign up.


What I'm Reading: I finished Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard a couple days ago. And I picked up my new signed copy of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I read that sucker in 2 days. I'm not the biggest fan of High Fantasy, but this book hooked me. Now I'm dying for the sequel to both books, but my wallet is crying.

What I'm Writing:  While I wait on feedback from my beta reader, I decided it was time to finally dig into my Camp NaNoWriMo novel for revisions. I read through the whole thing and I want to cry. God, it's terrible.
But, I have to constantly remind myself that writing is rewriting. There are characters, lines and plot lines that I really love. But there's a lot of junk in there and it's super short. I wrapped it up at 50k, and I want to get it to around 65k. There's more to the story and characters, I just need to dive in there to find it.

What Works For Me: This is a new question that threw me completely off guard. While I'm glad I won't be haunted by the the inspiration section from now on, I am kind of peeved because I actually had something inspiring to share. Don't worry, I put it under What Else I've Been Up To.
Honestly, I don't know what works for me. I wrote more in the summer months because school consumed my life. Now that I'm out of school and I start my job next week, I have to figure out how this is going to work. I want to have a career in theatre, while still continuing my publishing journey. Hopefully with this new section added to the blogs I can get some ideas and finally set a writing pattern. :D

What Else I've Been Up To: 
Me w/Sarah J Mass
Last week I went to a book signing with Susan Dennard, Sarah J. Maas, Liz Norris and Tiffany Schmidt. Wow, I was in awe, listening these writers talk about their book and publishing journey was really inspiring. I think what gets me the most was that these writers were where I am today. They all faced the same doubts and the fears entering the business. And look where they are today. It gave me that final push I needed to finish the revisions.
Two years ago, Susan and Sarah hosted a NaNoWriMo word battle on Twitter. I participated, and honestly, without them I wouldn't have completed NaNo, which meant no Suspension of Disbelief. I let them know how much that meant to me and Sarah gave me a hug.
Hopefully we'll meet again. Who knows maybe things will be different.
Tiffany Schmidt, Susan Dennard, Me, Liz Norris 












What's up with you? How is your week going?

Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. NaNo first drafts are always terrifying. I'm sure you can put it right and make it amazing. Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you got to meet those authors! Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the book signing sounds (looks) like it was amazing. I can imagine how inspiring it was!
    Don't worry about the 1st draft (I know, I know, people always say that). But it's true. Those MSs not only go through tons of revisions with us, CPs and betas, but later (hopefully), agents, editors. . .it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome that you got to see those incredible authors. I'm a huge Sarah J. Maas and Susan Dennard fan. I'm so happy you liked THRONE OF GLASS! It's one of my favourites. Book 2 is pretty darn fantastic too. Best of luck diving into your Camp NaNo revisions, finding the awesome in your story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book signing! I'm waiting for book three of Something Strange and Deadly and my library just me know that Throne of Glass is ready for pick-up so that'll be my next read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Starting to dive into revisions always feels so hard to me. You feel so proud when you finish the first draft, and then realize it's crap. But even if you end up needing to cut whole chapters and add new plot twists and character arcs, you have a world, and a group of characters, and an idea that carried you through all of NaNo. You can do this revision. Good luck.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you loved ToG - that series is amazing! The book signing sounds awesome! Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cool you got to meet Sarah and Susan! I met them a while ago in Pittsburgh with Kat Zhang and Erion Bowman. I haven't read ToG yet though, but it's great that you enjoyed it even though you usually don't like high fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm super jealous that you got to meet Sarah J. Maas! My copy of HEIR OF FIRE just arrived in the mail today and I practically drooled all over it. I'm sure once you really dig into your Camp NaNo WIP revisions you'll bring out all the awesome potential it has! Keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete