Monday, August 18, 2014

Ready, Set, Write! Slow Week

Ready, Set, Write is a weekly writing intensive hosted Jaime Marrow,  Erin FunkAlison Miller,and Katy Upperman. I will be checking in with Jaime and the gang to answer a few questions about my writing week.

I can't believe it's almost over summer's gone by so fast.


1.  How I did on last week’s goals: I read through some of Unremarkable and it's not pretty.

2.  My goal(s) for this week:
This week I want to start rewriting and get at least two new chapters done.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 
Since I didn't write anything here's a bit from the craptastic Unremarkable

“Christopher said, and I quote, ‘it’s Val what’s not to like’.” I began to dance around her singing: “Val and Christopher sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G—”
“Knock it off,” she shoved me. “Sometimes I wonder why we’re friends.”
“Because I’m awesome and you love me.”

“My tolerance of your antics grows weaker with each passing day.” She laughed.


4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week: Reading through an old abandoned MS is rough.

5.  Something I love about my WIP: 
I love how friendship is the center of Unremarkable and not the romance.

What are you're goals this week?

8 comments:

  1. Reading over old stuff always makes me cringe, but I figure cringing is just part of the process. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading an old MS can be difficult, but it can help to focus on what you love about it when planning a revision. Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great when you can see the potential in old manuscripts even if they feel like they're in really rough shape. That excerpt was fun though, so I'm sure that means there's plenty of good stuff to work with! Good luck rewriting two chapters this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if this is a repeat comment, but I think my last one got gobbled up by Blogger.

    I also hate re-reading old work, but at the same time it's nice to see how I've grown as a writer. So that's a plus at least!

    Also, I love this line, “My tolerance of your antics grows weaker with each passing day.” Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love stories about friendship! I liked that last line, too. Hope this week is productive for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I didn't think your excerpt was crappy! :) But I totally know what you mean about reading old manuscripts. It can be really cringe-inducing... but it's good that you have the perspective to see it now! That means it's time for revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading through old stuff can be miserable, but in some ways it's therapeutic. When I see how far my writing has come it's encouraging. I hope you can find that silver lining, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading through old manuscripts is a little daunting, but I bet there are some diamonds in the rough! Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete