Wednesday, September 26, 2012

YA Highway RTW: Leslie Reads Origin on Bus


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic: What was the best book you read in September?


Okay before I start I just wanted to tell you that I had already planned out what book I was going to choose. But then I started reading my book for my Literary Interpretation class and I could not put it down. It's Room by Emma Donghue. It's not YA but it's fantastic.Here's the a link to it's page on amazon. Seriously though, I read over 300 pages in less than twelve hours.

Since this is YA Highway, the best YA book I read this month was Origin by Jessica Khoury.


"Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rainforest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.
Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever."


There was a lot of hype for this book. I saw it a Kroger (yes Kroger) and had an external debate with myself in front of the woman who was stoking the books. Eventually I caved in and sacrificed a few unnecessary things (like vegetables and eggs) from my grocery list to buy the book.
Origin exceeded every one of my expectation. The plot was riveting, the characters were (mostly) likable and there were a ton of surprises. Every chapter left me hanging and wanting more. I was up until three one night because I was waiting for the right place to stop reading. It was impossible put down. I was late to class that day.
I'm usually the reader who predicts how the story would end after the first few chapters. I was caught off guard multiple times. It was great. I did a lot of reading on the bus. I was quite vocal. I felt bad for the people who were on the bus with me. :D
I recommend Origin to anyone who enjoys a fast paced YA SyFi/Fantasy Thriller.
Have you red Origin? What did you think? What was the best book you read in September?

13 comments:

  1. Alright, after two "best book" votes, I guess Origin moves up on the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There was a lot of hype for this book." << and that's why I'm afraid of read it lol
    I read lots of books that had such a fuss around them and was disappointed. I hate being disappointed by books ...
    But it seems I should try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hate when that happens. But for me this wasn't the case. :D

      Delete
  3. Haven't read this or heard of it yet, actually, but it sounds cool!

    By the way, I haven't bailed on you as a beta reader. I'm still here, just flailing with my schedule a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan I was just going to email you about that. College is hard. I've had like 7 papers due in the last month. Don't worry. I haven't forgotten about you either.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is on my want list! I've heard great things about it, but that makes me scared lol I've read Level 2 (which was hyped beyond hyped) and it didnt deliver for me lol
    Glad to hear you enjoyed this one!

    http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com/2012/09/road-trip-wednesday-best-book-ive-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book does sound like a good read. It's on my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great. I hadn't heard of this. Will have to go look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! Origin does look good! I've seen it everywhere, and have heard so many good things about it. I really do need to give it a read.

    P.S. I loved your line about sacrificing unnecessary things like vegetables in order to buy the book. I'd choose a good book over broccoli any day!

    ReplyDelete