Wednesday, September 19, 2012

YA Highway RTW: Fairy Tale Retelling

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic: In honor of this month's Bookmobile book, Marissa Meyer's CINDER, name a fable or story you'd like to see a retelling of. If you're feeling creative, come up with a premise of your own!

I'm back. Sorry I left. College and whatnot. So I love fairy tale retellings. Cinderella is my absolute favorite to be retold. That's why I loved Cinder so much. There are so many retellings out there, but there are thousands of concepts not even though of yet. To me the story can not be overdone.
I also like the other basics like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast and a lot more. But there are is one fairy tale that I adore that I have yet to see a retelling of is Snow White and Rose Red. 
If you don't know the story it's about two sisters, Snow White and Rose Red, who one winter help a bear out of the cold night and they become friends. When summer comes around he leaves to go protect his treasure. That summer the girls find a dwarf in the woods who is constantly in trouble so they help him out each time. He's ungrateful and mean to them instead of saying thanks. One day the see the dwarf being attacked the the bear. The bear kills him and he becomes a prince. As it turns out the dwarf turned him into a bear so he could steal his treasures. In the end Snow White marries the prince and Rose Red marries his brother. 
That's a basic summary of the story. I would love to see a modern retelling of Snow White and Rose Red where the bear is a homeless teenager who is taken in by Snow White and Rose Red's family during the winter and when he turns eighteen he revels himself to be the heir to a fortune. The dwarf could be someone close to the bear character who tries to steal his money from the inside or something. It's just an idea. Maybe I'll write it eventually.

Also this idea has been bouncing around in my head for years: An African American Rapunzel with magic weave. I'll write it someday...

I'll leave you at that. What fairy tales would you like to see retold?

Happy Reading!

P.S. Earlier this year I wrote a short play. It was produced for a 10 minute play festival. It's a dark story of what happens to fairy tale princesses after their happily ever after. For mature audiences only.


14 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about Snow White and Rose Red .. haven't heard about it in ages!
    Ooo, I like your ideas! You definitely should write them!
    Nice going on the short play! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one day if I have time. :D
      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. You should totally do your Rapunzel retelling! I'd read it (I'm a big fan of that fairy tale). I love fairy tale retellings, but I especially love them if there's a unique twist to them. Otherwise, it's just the same old thing, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twist are very important. anything that makes the story stand out is worth reading. :D

      Delete
  3. I'd love an African Rapunzel with a magic weave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :D Maybe it will be a short story,

      Delete
  4. An African-American Rapunzel would be an interesting take on the story. I'd like to see what you do with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's really all I thought about. I'd be interested to see where it would go as well. But that's a while from now. Thanks. :D

      Delete
  5. Oh please give Rapunzel a magic weave! I would love that. Can she have a magical animal sidekick named Yaki? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow White! Totally! That'd be awesome! Snow White the original, without the singing birds and whatnot! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow White and Rose Red is a completely different story than Snow White. But you're right Snow White without the Disney cushion would be a great retelling too. Thanks. :D

      Delete
  7. I like your twist idea for Snow White/Rose Red. I can definitely see that working out -- a teenager, heir to a big fortune, is pursued by a greedy (uncle, business partner to parents, etc). Very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's just an idea. Maybe someday. :D

      Delete