Wednesday, August 1, 2012

YA Highway RTW: It's Kind of a Funny Story


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This weeks topic: what is the best book you read in July?


Embarrassing story time. At the beginning of the month I read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It was an audiobook, but I like reading along and seeing words so I bought the ebook as well. Sorry, I'm weird like that. I listened and read all night long and well into the morning. That's right I had no sleep. And it was a Sunday. Yeah... I finally finished sometime that day. HOLY CLIFFHANGER BATMAN! I could not stop thinking about it. What was I supposed to do until next year when Scarlet come out.
If you couldn't tell by my lack of sleep and plunge into despair, I loved that book. Every chapter there were twist and turns, I fell in love with the characters. And the plot, I love fairy tale retelling, but this was more than just a fairy tale. It was something deeper than "once upon a time" and "happily every after." You're just going to have to read it to understand. Check out the summery here if my words intrigued you. 
I basically described Cinder to my family like this. "IT'S CINDERELLA WITH ROBOTS!!!" And yes, I shouted it every time. But it's not really Cinderella with "robots" Cinder is actually a cyborg  and they have androids. But still. 
Now here's the embarrassing part. I wrote an email. A fan email. Am I ashamed of it? No. Will this come back to haunt me one day? Possibly. The email was kind of insane. I wrote it at one in the morning. Twenty Four hours with no sleep is one thing, I mean I'm in college so I do it all the time. But going twenty-four hours without sleep because of a book. It does something to you.. 
A couple weeks later she responded. I had a total fangirl moment and then went back to read the email. Yeah, it was really crazy. Seriously, I questioned my own sanity.  I did however give her several chances to stop reading. But she read it and her response was super nice and not totally creeped out. 

All right the story's out. Now it's your turn. Have you every written a crazy fan letter to an author or celebrity? Did they respond? Let me know in the comments.


Here are the links to Marissa's website and twitter.


Happy reading! 

18 comments:

  1. Love it--that's totally something I would do (I can't remember specific emails like that, because I try to block them out--but I remember the feeling of waking up and going, "Oh no, what did I WRITE?") I love Cinder too--can't wait for the rest of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, i'm going to have to read this book! I have total fan girl moments too, but I try and do it super subtly 'let's be best friends' kinda way via twitter ahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be every author's best friend.

      Delete
  3. I've mostly had fangirl moments on Twitter too--if someone I admire RTs me or something. But yes, that's less embarrassing than an email, where you have lots more room for awkwardness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 5 paragraphs of awkwardness verses 140 characters? Yeah, it was late.

      Delete
  4. I've heard so much about Cinder. It does sound appealing. Not sure why I didn't pick it up yet. Oh, wait, yeah, because my kindle has around 50 unread books LOL can't add anymore until I lower that number to half at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, I hope you enjoy it when you do read it.

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this one. I can bear any number of Cinderella retellings and never tire of the story.

    And there is absolutely NO shame in fanmailing :) I have done it on a few occasions. The adult part of me says not to bug the poor artists/writers that I love, but the forever-fifteen part of me says that I would be ecstatic to receive fanmail if I ever got published, so even if they don't respond, it still may have brightened their day a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cinderella and retelling. I've tried working on one but it's in the dark abyss of partial stories on my jump drive.

      Delete
  6. I've heard so many great things about this book, I'll have to find it at the library! Sometimes books are hyped a lot and then disappoint, but this one seems to be a good one.

    I've also stayed up late reading when I know it's crazy to not shut the book (or turn off the audio). How great is it though when you finish? It almost makes it worth lack of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to answer that last question until you read it for yourself. Then I'll tell you how I felt.

      Delete
  7. Bless you, Leslie, for sending a fan letter to Marissa! I know how much I enjoy getting comments on my blog from people who liked my post for that day; I can only imagine how much more exponentially cool it must be to get mail from enthusiastic readers who loved my book (one day when I'm published) so much they were up all night reading it and can't stop thinking about it. I'm already looking forward to reading CINDER; all the more now, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know author's really appreciate hearing from fans and I love when they respond. I hope one day I will know the feeling. :D

      Delete
  8. There is NOTHING wrong with fan email! Or tweet replying to one of your fave authors. Go for it! I wrote a poem as a review of one of Ellen Hopkins books and she commented on it. I still gush about it! So, gush away! Not embarrassing, not something to hide. If and when I ever become a pubbed author, I will relish that fan email. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy fangirl moment? Marissa RT'ed the post. :D

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to read CINDER!!! It's sitting on my dresser in my big TBR pile o' books and I'm thinking just may be next on my list!
    And fan email? Pa-lease. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. Just think how excited YOU would be to receive something from a fan? Especially one that stayed up all night to listen and read the book!
    I'm so glad you loved this one...definitely can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha oh my gosh I bet she loved the crazy email! If I were published, I'm pretty those sorts of things would make my day. And this confirms it. I *need* to read this book.

    ReplyDelete