Friday, August 17, 2012

And So It Begins

I'm back at school. Another year of balancing classes, theatre, a social life and trying to write. In the last couple years I slacked on one or two of those, mostly it was writing. I want to do so much this year, but the question that keeps running through my head is "can I have it all?"
Classes and theatre are set in stone. Without classes, I technically wouldn't be in college. Also theatre and classes sort of mix. Theatre is my major and it's what I want to do in the future (and writing of course). So I can't give that up.
My new desk!
I just got a social life. Seriously. It took a long time to get one, but I got it and I'm not letting it go. I've only been to a hand full of parties. Technically I've only been to cast parties. But those still count. Right? Anyway I also have a few circles of friends I hang out with at during the day or in the evening. It's fun just being around people. If I become a hermit again I would miss so many of my friends and the opportunity to make new ones.
 Then there's writing, which for two years got the short end of the stick. I've tried so hard over the summer to get my first draft finished. But life decided to be a douche and punch me in the stomach saying "Not on my watch." So now I have a first draft that is halfway to my goal and I start classes and the crazy madness of college in the next few days.
So what am I going to do? Well at WriteOnCon I found a whole group of college students in my predicament. Some were further than me, like on their third and fourth draft others were in the same boat. They all shared how they find time to write and trying to be well rounded in school. Honestly I don't know how these kids do it, but I know it can be done.
It will be. I'll have it all. Maybe not at the same time. I'm positive I can do it this year.
Bookshelf. I could only bring unread books.
Now usually with the new school year I fail at blogging. This will not be the case this year. I'll be doing YA Highway Road Trip Wednesdays and I'll attempt to get in a few post a month. Also the vlog is still a thing. 30 Days of Vlogging might have ended but I'll have "Morphinominal Monday" and maybe another video in the week. I might cheat and put the video up on the blog. Vlog on the blog. That's fun to say.
This has been a great summer and I'm thrilled to start the school year.
Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah...it's really hard. Especially because college often entails the same type of work and thinking as writing a novel does. But this insane juggling act CAN be done if you're determined.

    I'll be doing it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're really putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Good luck with it! Just keep in mind that a lot of authors aren't published until their thirties, forties, and even fifties - for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a lot of pressure. I think what it comes down to is taking what free time I actually have and putting it towards something productive, like writing. And I'm not saying I want to be published right out of college. It's a dream, but not really a realistic one from where I am right now. I have two years left so who knows. Thanks. :D

      Delete