Monday, June 21, 2010

Mistakes I never thought I would make, but I did

Earlier today I dropped my cell phone in a sink full of water. I always criticized people for being dumb enough to drop their phone in water. Well now it’s barely working and I hope it will work better after it’s dry.


That got me thinking about other things I thought I’d never do but I did anyway. Well back in the day so did I. I honestly thought that I would not make any silly mistake that I’ve read about in countless blogs. Boy was I wrong. So right now I’m going to take a break from Summer Reading Edition and tell you a few amateur mistakes I thought I would never make and I did.

1. Querying before you’re ready. This was one of my biggest mistakes. I thought after spending my entire junior year editing my manuscript would be enough. Boy was I wrong. After over thirty rejection letters I stopped my insane query quest and read my manuscript again. It was horrible. Like really bad. So I spent a lot of time rewriting it and trying to make it as polished as possible.

2. Not having a good query. All of the advice blogs I read say you have to have a near perfect query before you submit to agents I thought mine was perfect. Boy was I wrong. Well after the rewrite I took a look at my query. Not that good either. I rewrote it until I thought it was presentable.

3. School first writing second. My junior year I screw up. I was so concerned about editing my manuscript I let my grades slip. At first I was in denial. I thought I was in control of my grades. Boy was I wrong. When I saw that my grade was lower than I expected I had to pull off a high final score to get a decent grade. If I had spent less time with my manuscript and more time on Algebra 2 and Chemistry I would have graduated with a higher GPA.

In the end I hated myself for making such stupid mistakes.I honestly did not think I would be the one to make these mistakes. I’m just like everybody else. The point is we all make mistakes and my biggest mistake was not thinking I would make one.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself. As you go through life you will make even dumber mistakes. Just remember that not learning from your mistakes is the ultimate blunder in life.

    ReplyDelete