Sunday, May 16, 2010

Raising the Dead

I have raised the dead. Well just in my manuscript. I recently finished rewriting my manuscript and there were a lot of changes made to it. Before I started rewriting I wondered why no agent wanted it. So I stopped my insane query quest and took a look. When I reread it I noticed it was way too corny and a lot of parts were just bad. No wonder no one wanted it. So I stopped and looked the next thing I needed to do was listen. I had to listen to what my characters wanted to say and what they needed. So I made some big changes.


Things I changed

1. How the MC meets her love interest. When I read it I felt that the meeting was too forced and that the love interest’s character didn’t his first scene.

2. Added witty dialogue. It needed it. Badly

3. Dream sequence reboot. It was way too cheesy. Seriously it had to go.

4. Entire subplot change. It involved me raising the dead, ‘nuff said.

5. Toughened it up. It was too nice. It needed a real life reality check.

So in the end, even though I thought I wasn’t one of those newbie writers who make stupid mistakes, I made the biggest newbie mistake of them all. I queried before I was really ready.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment